I hope you are all having a good week thus far
I thought is was worth sharing the link below which relates to the recent controversy around grades given to a-level students, where many saw theirs downgraded due to an algorithm used by the government.
it’s strange how this caused such issues and how the algorithm managed to grade many lower than the expected grades given by their teachers.
Why did this happen?
1. Was it due to a lack of Data
2. Was the date input incorrectly?
3. Was it the Algorithm (did AI get it wrong?)
4. Was it indirectly caused by Covid-19
5. Or was it something else?
I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of actuaries / data scientists as this situation is fundamentally associated around data.